Cain Velasquez Workout
- Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion and Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) phenomenon Cain Velasquez possesses every true fighter’s attributes: strength, speed, stamina, balance, technique, killer instinct, and a never-ending gas tank.
Cain’s conditioning is second to none. In fact, it has been his trademark as a fighter, and his cardio is used as a yardstick of an MMA fighter’s conditioning, considering that he’s a heavyweight.
Cain’s work ethic and iron will has made him one of the most well rounded mixed martial artists in the entire world.
His superior cardio alone, make him a relentless grinder that seems to effortlessly break each of his opponents’ will.
An undefeated fighter currently at 9-0, Cain became the UFC Heavyweight Champion by demolishing former champion Brock Lesnar, once thought to be an invincible superhuman athlete, in one round.
Despite all of his incredible success, Cain remains humble and wants to set an example for those who aspire to become fighters, and represent the rapidly growing sport he loves so much.
Triple Threat Training
As I pointed out, Cain’s cardio has become his trademark. Capable lungs weren’t just God given – Non-stop cardio is developed by non-stop style training. His tireless work ethic quickly made Cain one of the fastest rising athlete’s in the fight game.
Even at heavyweight, he moves very light on his feet, and fights at a tremendous pace.
While most athletes think that training a split routine daily is already considered very tiring, Cain works out 3 times a day, 5 days a week. The 3 various phases of his training days focus on each aspect of fighting: Strength & Conditioning, Grappling & Striking, and Cardio. Did I mention that he does this the entire day, from Monday to Friday?
For his strength and conditioning, he uses basic whole body weight training exercises to increase power and size. His weight training routine is short and simple, because he tries to avoid being too muscular which can often affect an athlete’s cardio – The more muscle you have, the more oxygen necessary for keeping those muscles working.
He lifts weights to progressively build & maintain his strength, which is needed to boost his wrestling moves, striking and grappling power.
For the big 4 (Squat, Bench Press, Overhead Press and Deadlifts), he uses the 5/3/1 routine, where he lifts a heavier amount of weight and performs 5 repetitions the first set, 3 repetitions the following set, and then 1 repetition the last set.
For the rest of his exercises, he executes 3 sets of 10 reps. He sometimes likes to use kettlebells to build explosiveness and make his exercises more diverse.
As you will notice, I use a work-to-rest time frame with all of my workouts.
i.e. 3 sets of 5/3/1 repetitions OR 10/8/5 sec/1-2 min w-t-r ratio - Use a 10 second work time the first set, 8 seconds work time the second set & 5 seconds work time the third set and take a 1-2 minute rest time between sets of exercise – The heavier the weight, the more rest you’ll need between sets for effective muscle recovery:
Cain Velasquez Workout
- Whole Body Weight Training Routine:
- Squats - 3 sets of 5/3/1 repetitions OR 10/8/5 sec/1-2 min w-t-r ratio
- Leg Press - 3 sets of 10 repetitions OR 15 sec/1-2 min w-t-r ratio
- Bench Press - 3 sets of 5/3/1 repetitions OR 10/8/5 sec/1-2 min w-t-r ratio
- Inclined Press - 3 sets of 10 repetitions OR 15 sec/1-2 min w-t-r ratio
- Deadlifts - 3 sets of 5/3/1 repetitions OR 10/8/5 sec/1-2 min w-t-r ratio
- Pull-ups - 3 sets of 10 repetitions OR 15 sec/1-2 min w-t-r ratio
- Overhead Shoulder Press - 3 sets of 5/3/1 repetitions OR 10/8/5 sec/1-2 min w-t-r ratio
- Shoulder Supersets (Front Raise, Side Lateral Raise and Upright Row) - 3 sets of 10 repetitions for each exercise without rest OR 15 sec work for each exercise without rest/1-2 min rest after Upright Row w-t-r ratio
- Dips - 3 sets of 10 repetitions OR 15 sec/1-2 min w-t-r ratio
- Tricep Pushdown - 3 sets of 10 repetitions OR 15 sec/1-2 min w-t-r ratio
- Power Curls - 3 sets of 10 repetitions OR 15 sec/1-2 min w-t-r ratio
- Concentrated Curls - 3 sets of 10 repetitions OR 15 sec/1-2 min w-t-r ratio
Remember, you’re working with time rather than reps now -This method utilizes a prescribed work-to-rest ratio. You can use your iPhone stopwatch or a traditional style stopwatch. I started using the GymBoss Timer to make this work and because of it, my workouts have never been more effective. If you’re willing to step out of your comfort zone and are ready for your best fitness results, yet, get your hands on this bad boy. You can get it by clicking this GymBoss Timer Link.
His grappling consists of wrestling and jiu-jitsu training. Being a natural wrestler, he improves his striking by training kickboxing with the world-renowned American Kickboxing Academy, home to fighters like Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch and Phil Baroni, among others.
As for his insane cardio conditioning, he runs the gauntlet during training by sparring with 5 different individuals every 3 minutes – He does this to keep up with the pace of fresher opponents to really test his will and push his limits. In a nutshell, this style of elite style MMA training helps Cain gain that fighting edge by doing what most fighters wouldn’t.
Aside from sparring, he runs 10 miles a day to increase his maximum volume of oxygen capacity and use (VO2 Max).
For the entire week, here is his workout routine:
- Morning: Weight Training
- Afternoon: Grappling Sparring (Five 5-minute rounds for wrestling, and three 5-minute rounds for Jiu-Jitsu)
- Evening: Striking Training and Cardio (10 mile run)
Tuesdays and Thursdays:
- Morning: Kettlebell Training
- Afternoon: Wrestling and Jiu-Jitsu Training
- Evening: Striking Sparring for five 5-minute rounds, then Cardio (10 mile run)
Saturdays and Sundays: Rest
Brown Pride - Brown Rice
With a rigorous training regimen, Cain needs more than just adequate rest & recovery to allow his body to handle the stress of training and maintain the rigors of such high intensity & high volume training each and every day of each and every week.
Feeding yourself with the right food is essential, as food provides the necessary fuel that keeps our bodies working optimally. Cain consumes a combination of healthy foods and supplements to keep him energized and everlasting.
Cain Valasquez Workout Diet Plan
- Meal 1: Egg Whites and Oatmeal
- Meal 2: Protein Shake/Meal Replacement Drinks
- Meal 3: Chicken Breast, Sweet Potato, Broccoli and Brown Rice
- Meal 4: Same as Meal 3
- Meal 5: Same as Meal 2
Pound for pound health
It doesn’t matter how big you are. Cain Velasquez has shown that you can possess every athletic attribute, from brutally strong and muscular to light on the toes and lightening fast. Cain moves like a welterweight, packs a punch as good if not better than any of the other current heavyweights, and is physically capable of moving down to middleweight.
With the right work ethic, Cain has shown that you can achieve the all the best attributes of a fighter; technique, size, strength, speed, stamina, etc.
If you’re a fighter or want to get into the fight game, you must begin with the basics – work on building your foundation with a well rounded training regimen, and your climb toward the top will be a much easier and rewarding journey.
Remember, athletes like Cain, don’t make excuses, they make things happen. It’s vital for Cain to stay the course and continue to work on building and maintaining his conditioning. If he stops or even slows his role, it’s when the hungrier and more disciplined fighter dethrones him.
Hail to the current MMA king!
Here is one of the greatest training programs for hard core conditioning and unsurpassed results: MMA Commando Style Conditioning
If you watch television, you’ve no doubt heard of the fitness phenomena called P90X.
Well, this is the precise caliber of workout program that allows people to get in the greatest shape of their lives quickly and without having to spend their lives in the gym.
I’ve tested and reviewed each of their stellar programs and present you with everything you need to know about these elite products and programs – Take a look:
Or go directly to my coach pages for these products and if you purchase a program, I will personally guide you throughout your fitness & fat loss journey:
Celebrity Workouts: www.beachbodycoach.com/JamesVillepigue
Celebrity Nutrition: www.myshakeology.com/JamesVillepigue
As you will notice, I use a work-to-rest time frame with all of my workouts. I use the GymBoss Timer to keep tabs on my time. It’s a much more effective way to get through a tough workout
Check out how GymBoss has changed how I train and how it rapidly speeds up your fat loss and muscle building results: http://workoutsinc.com/gymboss-timer-time-under-tension-training/
Grab the following gear to lose the most from today’s Burst Bout Workout:
Some other Fat Loss training routines for fast weight loss:
- Strength Training Workouts for Quick Fat Loss
- Workout to Burn Fat and Lose Weight Fast
- Rapid Weight Loss Workout
- Celebrity Fitness Training-Private Coaching Club